Buttery Cider Glazed Turkey
- 1 12-14 lb turkey
- kosher salt or reg salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 med baking apple, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 T butter, melted
- 6 med or 8 small baking apples, cored and cut into eighths (such as Golden Delicious, Gravenstein, Granny Smith, Winesap, Rhode Island Greening, or Braeburn)
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 C fresh apple cider
- 5 sticks cinnamon (about 3 inch lengths) broken
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- fresh fruit for garnish
- fresh herbs for garnish
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- chicken broth
- black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Rinse turkey well and pat dry with paper towels. Season inside cavity generously with salt and pepper. Rub 1 of the halved garlic cloves on inside cavity. Place garlic cloves, onion, and the first apple in cavity.
- 2. Pull turkey skin to back; fasten with skewer. If a band of skin corosses the tail, tuck drumsticks under band. If there isn't a band, tie drumsticks securely to tail with 100-percent-cotton string. Twist wing tips under back. Brush turkey with 100 percent cotton string and twist wing tips under back. Brush turkey with 2 T melted butter. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- 3. Place bird, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle without letting thermometer touch bone. Cover bird loosely with foil. Roast for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 160 degrees F. Cut band of skin or string between drumsticks after 2 1./2 hours.
- 4. Toss apple wedges with lemon juice. Place apples around turkey. Continue to roast, covering apples with foil, for 30 minutes more.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan bring apple cider and cinnamon sticks to boiling. Reduce heat and boil steadily about 30 minutes or until cider is reduced to 2/3 cup. Add the 1/3 cup butter, brown sugar, and thyme. Heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks.
- 6. Remove foil from turkey; baste turkey and drizzle apples with the cider mixture. Continue roasting, uncovered, until meat thermometer registers 180 degress F, basting bird and drizzling cider mixture over fruit every 10 minutes. Renmove turkey from oven; discard cavity ingredients. Transfer roasted bird to a large serving platter. Surround with roasted apples. cover with foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving turkey. Add fresh fruit and herbs to platter.
- 7. Pour pan drippings into a large measuring cup. Scrape the browned bits from the pan into the cup. Skim and reserve fat from the drippings. Pour 1/4 cup of the fat into a medium saucepan (discard remaining fat). Stir in flour. Add enough broth to remaining drippings to equal 2 1/2 cups; add broth mixture all at once to flour mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stire for 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ChefMo3001 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note