This is a fantastic dessert. It does run a bit on the sweet side but the fresh bananas paired with the butterscotch is awesome! I did notice the butterscotch was a bit runny and perhaps that is due to using instant pudding rather than making it from scratch. I also let it sit out a bit longer than I think I was supposed to.
Butterscotch Banana Pudding Pie
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Stylist: Buffy Hargett
An over-the-rim crust laced with toffee transforms a classic dessert into a blue-ribbon pie. Stop the meringue from shrinking by spreading just over the inside edge of the crust, covering the hot filling.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 74 vanilla wafers (1 [11-oz.] package), divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 (1.4-oz.) chocolate-covered toffee candy bars, finely chopped
- 2 large ripe bananas, sliced
- Butterscotch Filling
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Pulse 44 vanilla wafers in a food processor 8 to 10 times or until coarsely crushed. (Yield should be about 2 cups.) Stir together crushed wafers, pecans, and butter until blended. Firmly press on bottom, up sides, and onto lip of a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack; sprinkle candy bars over crust. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 3. Arrange bananas over candy bars. Prepare Filling, and spread half of hot filling over bananas; top with 20 vanilla wafers in a single layer. Spread remaining hot filling over wafers. (Filling will be about 1/4 inch higher than crust.)
- 4. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges. Insert remaining 10 vanilla wafers halfway into meringue around outer edge of pie.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to a wire rack. Cool completely (about 1 hour). Chill 4 to 6 hours or until firm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This