Butternut Squash Soup with Seared Radicchio
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
A topping of sautéed radicchio tossed with balsamic vinegar and grated Parmesan cheese provides a slightly bitter, sharp contrast to the creamy, sweet soup.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 217
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 6.9g
- Carbohydrate: 38.1g
- Fiber: 9.6g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 712mg
- Calcium: 224mg
- 3 pounds butternut squash (about 2 medium)
- Cooking spray
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 5 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (about 2 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1/2 tablespoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups thinly sliced radicchio (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until tender. Scoop out pulp; set aside. Discard skins.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, parsley, sage, and thyme; cook 15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add squash, water, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and minced garlic; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Place about 2 1/2 cups squash mixture in a blender, and process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture, 2 1/2 cups at a time.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add radicchio, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; drizzle with vinegar, tossing to coat. Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls. Top each serving with 1/3 cup radicchio and 1 tablespoon cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This