Butternut Squash Soup
This velvety starter soup is a blend of pureed squash and carrots, cream, and a hint of ginger.
Yield: 8 cups
- 1 (3-pound) butternut squash
- 3/4 pound carrots, scraped and cut into chunks (8 carrots)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans, toasted
- Ground nutmeg
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a shallow pan; add hot water to pan to depth of 3/4". Cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until tender; drain. Scoop out pulp; mash. Discard shell. Cook carrot in boiling water 25 minutes or until tender; drain and mash.
- Combine squash, carrot, chicken broth, and next 3 ingredients in a bowl. Process half of mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth. Repeat procedure with remaining half of squash mixture.
- Place pureed mixture in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer. Stir in cream; return to a simmer. Remove from heat. To serve, ladle into individual bowls. Sprinkle with pecans and nutmeg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note