Butternut Squash Soup
This velvety starter soup is a blend of pureed squash and carrots, cream, and a hint of ginger.
Yield: 8 cups
- 1 (3-pound) butternut squash
- 3/4 pound carrots, scraped and cut into chunks (8 carrots)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans, toasted
- Ground nutmeg
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a shallow pan; add hot water to pan to depth of 3/4". Cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until tender; drain. Scoop out pulp; mash. Discard shell. Cook carrot in boiling water 25 minutes or until tender; drain and mash.
- Combine squash, carrot, chicken broth, and next 3 ingredients in a bowl. Process half of mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth. Repeat procedure with remaining half of squash mixture.
- Place pureed mixture in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer. Stir in cream; return to a simmer. Remove from heat. To serve, ladle into individual bowls. Sprinkle with pecans and nutmeg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews