That was awesome. I think my squash was a little too big, so added just a touch more of each other ingredient. Invited neighbor over for dinner, and we both LOVED it! Very simple to make, extremely tasty and well worth it. I will make this again and again. Only bad thing is I didn't have a lot of leftovers. this would probably be great to freeze.
Butternut Squash Soup
Photo: Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
This creamy butternut squash soup features pureed butternut squash, carrot and onion and showcases the rich, sweet flavor of this winter squash.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup soup and 1 toast)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 297
- Fat: 10.7g
- Saturated fat: 6.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 11.8g
- Carbohydrate: 42.4g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 645mg
- Calcium: 315mg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 (1-ounce) slices French bread
- 3 ounces thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 1. To prepare soup, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, carrot, and onion; sauté for 12 minutes. Add chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and salt.
- 2. Preheat broiler.
- 3. Place squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), and secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth.
- 4. To prepare toasts, arrange French bread on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 minute or until lightly toasted. Turn bread over, and top evenly with Swiss cheese. Broil for 1 minute or until bubbly. Serve toasts with soup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note