Butternut Squash Soufflé
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups cooked, mashed butternut or acorn squash
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, whisking until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add half-and-half; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Whisk egg yolks until thick and pale. Gradually stir about one-fourth hot mixture into yolks; stir into remaining hot mixture. Stir in squash, salt, and nutmeg.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold one-fourth of egg whites into squash mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites; pour into a lightly buttered 2-quart souffle dish.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until puffed and brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note