Butternut Squash Salad with Farro and Pepitas
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 whole(s) butternut squash about 2 lb
- 5-6 tablespoon(s) olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 cup(s) semi-pearled (or other) farro
- 1/3 cup(s) toasted pepitas*
- 3 ounce(s) ricotta salata or cotija cheese
- 1 tablespoon(s) sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) water
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1/2 whole(s) small red onion finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 375.
- 2. Peel squash, halve lengthwise, then scoop out seeds. Cut the squash into 3/4" chunks (roughly). Coat one large or two small baking sheets with 2 tablespoons olive oil (total). Spread squash in a single layer on sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Roast until pieces are tender, about 30-40 minutes, turning them halfway. Set aside to cool slightly. Reserve some like this for kids if you'd rather not compose the salad for them.
- 3. While squash is roasting, cook the farro in a large pot of simmering, salted water until the grains are tender but chewy, about 30 minutes or whatever your package suggests. Drain and cool slightly. Set aside some for kids if that's your plan.
- 4. While squash is roasting and farro is simmering, in a small bowl whisk together the sherry vinegar, water, 1/2 teaspoon table salt and sugar until the sugar and salt dissolve. Stir in onion. It will barely be covered by liquid. Cover and set in fridge until needed, 30 minutes ideally.
- 5. In a large bowl, mix together the squash, faro, red onion and it's brine, the cheese and pepitas. Toss with 2-3 tablespoons of the remaining oil. Use more if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- *If you can't find toasted pepitas, toast them yourself in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes, sprinkled with a little kosher salt if they are unsalted.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CKSchirmeier and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Butternut Squash Salad with Farro and Pepitas Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes