Butternut Squash Rösti Cakes
Photo: Chris Court
Adding shredded butternut squash to mini potato pancakes adds a touch of sweetness and a nice orange hue.
Yield: makes 4 dozen mini cakes
More From Food & Wine
- 1 butternut squash neck, peeled and coarsely shredded in a processor
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and coarsely shredded in a food processor
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 (large) eggs
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- Cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Sour cream, salmon caviar and chives, for garnish
- In a bowl, combine the shredded squash and potatoes with the cornstarch, eggs and onion and season with salt and cayenne. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/8 inch of oil until shimmering. Add 2-tablespoon-size mounds of the mixture to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until golden and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and repeat, adding more oil to the skillet as needed and wiping out the pan occasionally. Top the rösti cakes with sour cream, caviar and chives and serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers