I made this for this first time today and loved it. It was time consuming but worth it.
Butternut Squash Risotto
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 344
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 494mg
- Calcium: 125mg
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (3-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1. Bring broth and water to a simmer in a saucepan.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook squash with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring occasionally, until it is golden in spots (8-10 minutes). Stir in thyme. Add 1/2 cup broth mixture to skillet, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender and broth is evaporated (8 to 10 minutes more). Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a 4-quart heavy pot over medium heat, cook onion in remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring, until softened (about 6 minutes). Add rice and toss to coat with oil; cook 2 minutes. Add wine and cook until almost completely absorbed (2 minutes more).
- 4. Stir 1/2 cup simmering broth into rice and cook at a strong simmer, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed. Continue simmering and adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding more, until rice is creamy-looking but still al dente (about 20 minutes total); mixture should be the consistency of thick soup. (There may be leftover broth.)
- 5. Stir in butter, cheese, and reserved squash. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables