Pleasing recipe. My husband really enjoyed it and I found it good, but lacking something distinct. I was looking to try something new with a butternut squash, but think some of my standby recipes are just fine.
Butternut Squash Risotto
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 large butternut squash (about 1 lb.), peeled and seeded
- 8 cups vegetable broth*
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 cups Arborio rice (short-grain)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Cut squash into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes.
- 2. Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cover and reduce heat to low. Keep warm.
- 3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add squash, and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Add rice, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute.
- 4. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; add 1/2 cup hot broth, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat procedure with remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time. (Total cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Stir in Parmesan cheese and cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Serve immediately.
- *8 cups chicken broth may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables