Great recipe. Followed recipe with these adjustments: used a squash that I already had roasted so I didn't need the full 20-25 minutes, I diced the onion, and I used half veg broth and half chicken broth with a splash of white wine. There are just 2 of us, so we had plenty of leftovers for another dinner this week. I will definitely make again, but will increase the amount of cumin and coriander for more flavor like the other reviewer.
Butternut Squash and Pine-Nut Risotto
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 70 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 433
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4g
- Protein: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 59g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 410mg
- Calcium: 175mg
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup Arborio rice or other short-grained rice
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Additional salt (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Combine squash, 2 teaspoons oil, salt, cumin, and coriander. Place in a single, uncrowded layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes, turning once.
- 3. Place nuts in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- 4. Simmer broth and water in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- 5. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until golden brown. Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total).
- 6. Remove pot from heat; stir in squash, cheese, and nuts. Season generously with pepper and additional salt, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes