- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup Arborio rice or other short-grained rice
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Additional salt (optional)
- calories 433
- fat 17 g
- satfat 4 g
- monofat 7 g
- polyfat 4 g
- protein 15 g
- carbohydrate 59 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 13 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 410 mg
- calcium 175 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°.
Combine squash, 2 teaspoons oil, salt, cumin, and coriander. Place in a single, uncrowded layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes, turning once.
Place nuts in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
Simmer broth and water in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until golden brown. Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total).
Remove pot from heat; stir in squash, cheese, and nuts. Season generously with pepper and additional salt, if desired.