We love this soup and make it all the time. I love the earthy quality that the parsnips bring to it. We serve it with garlic bread.
Butternut Squash-Parsnip Soup
This soup is simple, savory and extremely soothing on a cold winter night. To serve twelve to sixteen, make two batches of soup instead of doubling the recipe.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 132
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 29.7g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 228mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion (1 large)
- 2 cups chopped parsnip (3 large)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 (12-ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup light sour cream (optional)
- 8 teaspoons chopped fresh chives (optional)
- 1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- 2. Place one-fourth of squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Stir in whipping cream, paprika, and cumin. Ladle soup into bowls; top each serving with sour cream and chives, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews