I have made this a couple of times now. I generally buy fresh veggies and roast them first and I think it gives it more body. Spicing with the cumin is essential and I like adding a bit of heat with cayenne pepper. This is a nice soup on it's own or accompanied with sandwiches or salad.
Butternut Squash-Parsnip Soup
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Scott Martin
More From Southern Living
Stand: 1 Hour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped*
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (12-oz.) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed**
- 5 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Garnishes: sour cream, chopped fresh chives
- 1. Melt butter with olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 20 minutes or until onion is caramel colored. Add squash and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 1 hour. If desired, cover and chill up to 2 days.
- 2. Process squash mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Pour mixture into a 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in whipping cream, paprika, and cumin. Cover and cook on LOW 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Garnish, if desired.
- *3 carrots, peeled and chopped, may be substituted.
- **1 (3- to 4-lb.) butternut squash may be substituted. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, on a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until squash pulp is tender. Remove from oven. Let cool 20 minutes. Scoop out squash pulp, discarding shells. Note: For testing purposes only, we used McKenzie's Southland Microwaveable Butternut Squash.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This