LOVE this soup- I too used an immersion blender to skip the food processor step, and added cinnamon and nutmeg (plus a little more cream.) Delicious, I could eat this every day.
Butternut Squash-Parsnip Soup
More From Southern Living
Bake: 45 Minutes
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) butternut squash*
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped**
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Garnishes: sour cream, paprika
- Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, and apples on a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until squash pulp is tender. Remove from oven; cool. Scoop out squash pulp, discarding shells.
- Melt butter in olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and next 3 ingredients, and sauté 20 minutes or until onion is caramel colored. Add squash, apple quarters, and chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- Process squash mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Return to Dutch oven. Stir in whipping cream, paprika, and cumin, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until heated. Garnish, if desired.
- *3 (12-ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed, may be substituted. For testing purposes only, we used McKenzie's Southland Microwaveable Butternut Squash.
- **3 carrots, peeled and chopped, may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews