- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 3 to 6 whole cloves
- 1 garlic bulb, chopped and divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Dragon Salt
- 1 lime, thinly sliced (optional)
- calories 116
- caloriesfromfat 9 %
- fat 1.3 g
- polyfat 0.2 g
- protein 3.6 g
- carbohydrate 25 g
- fiber 4.2 g
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 862 mg
- calcium 100 mg
How to Make It
Bring first 5 ingredients and half of garlic to a boil in a Dutch oven; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove and discard cloves.
Sauté onions in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add peppers and remaining garlic; sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth mixture, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Stir onion mixture and diced tomatoes into soup.
Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 350º for 45 minutes or until crisp.
Add cilantro, pepper, salt, and 1 teaspoon Dragon Salt to soup. Ladle into bowls; top with toasted tortilla strips and, if desired, lime slices.