Tasty recipe that I will make again. I did make some changes but don't believe that they affected the flavor profile. I halved the recipe and I didn't use the Smoky Marinara recipe because I already had Marinara Magnifica, which I had made with fire-roasted tomatoes. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to buy provolone but used mozzarella instead. Also, replaced the oven-ready pasta with whole-wheat lasagna noodles and just refrigerated overnight so the noodles softened. Since I halved the recipe and couldn't find fat-free ricotta, I just used pureed fat-free cottage cheese in lieu of the ricotta. FYI, using Trader Joe's peeled and chopped butternut squash saved a lot of time.
Butternut Squash Lasagna
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 254
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 18.6g
- Carbohydrate: 27.6g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 560mg
- Calcium: 414mg
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 10 cup fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) carton fat-free ricotta cheese
- 3 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 6 cups Smoky Marinara
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles (such as Barilla)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; sauté 1 1/2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Combine provolone, parsley, salt, pepper, eggs, and ricotta cheeses in a large bowl.
- Place squash in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook on high 5 minutes or until tender.
- Coat the bottom and sides of 2 (8-inch-square) baking dishes with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup Smoky Marinara in the bottom of one prepared dish. Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup cheese mixture over noodles. Arrange 1 1/2 cups squash over cheese mixture; spread 3/4 cup sauce over squash.
- Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup cheese mixture over the noodles. Arrange 1 1/2 cups onion mixture over cheese mixture; spread 3/4 cup sauce over spinach mixture.
- Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup Smoky Marinara evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients in remaining pan. Cover each pan with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- To freeze unbaked lasagna: Prepare through Step 6. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.
- To prepare frozen unbaked lasagna: Thaw completely in refrigerator (about 24 hours). Preheat oven to 375º. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover lasagna with reserved foil; bake at 375º for 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This