Different than any butternut squash dish I've ever tried. The blue cheese and onions impart unique savory characteristics. I slightly modified the recipe by sauteing the onions with approximately two-thirds cup pancetta. I used half the amount of dried sage and seasoned the bread crumbs with a little nutmeg and melted butter instead of oil. Not quite as light but really delicious!
Butternut Squash Gratin with Blue Cheese and Sage
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 186
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 30.9g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 379mg
- Calcium: 173mg
- 5 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1 (1 1/2-ounce) slice white bread
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Steam butternut squash, covered, 10 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 12 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Transfer to a small bowl; add 2 teaspoons oil, and toss with a fork to combine.
- 4. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion to pan; saute 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer the onion mixture to a large bowl. Add butternut squash, chopped sage, salt, and black pepper to bowl, and toss gently to combine. Spoon squash mixture into an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle crumbled blue cheese evenly over squash mixture, and sprinkle evenly with breadcrumb mixture. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and crumbs are golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables