This was delish ... My husband and I enjoy cooking together and this was a fun recipe to cook together
Butternut Squash Gnocchi
These little butternut squash gnocchi are ever so slightly sweet. Dress the dumplings with melted butter and parmesan cheese to add a rich flavor.
Time: 1 hour
More From Sunset
- Calories: 286
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Protein: 8.7g
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 305mg
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 lbs.)
- About 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour, plus more for shaping
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese (or other hard cheese, such as asiago or pecorino), plus more at the table
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. With a fork or sharp knife, poke holes all over squash. Microwave it on high 10 minutes. Let sit until cool enough to handle. Halve squash lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Flesh should be tender when scraped with a fork; if it isn't, microwave on high (cut side down) in 1-minute intervals until tender. Let sit until cool enough to handle. Scrape out flesh (discard peel) and mash until smooth.
- 2. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine 2 cups mashed squash (save any extra for another use), 1/2 tsp. salt, the white pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in flour, 1 cup at a time, until a dough forms (it will pull away from inside of bowl).
- 3. Turn dough out on a generously floured work surface. With well-floured hands, knead dough 10 to 12 times.
- 4. Divide dough in half and cover 1 batch with plastic wrap. Roll other batch into a 3/4-in.-thick rope and cut into 1/2-in.-long pieces. Put pieces on a floured baking sheet and set aside. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil gnocchi until they rise to the surface, about 4 minutes; cook 30 seconds longer and then lift with a slotted spoon, making sure water drains from gnocchi, and place in a large serving bowl. Gently toss with butter and top with cheese and a sprinkling of black pepper. Serve hot and pass extra cheese at the table.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note