Good to Prepare
Butternut Squash Empanadas
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cooking spray
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 2/3 cups shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup ice water
- Combine 3 tablespoons olive oil and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Spread squash mixture in a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450º for 15 minutes; stir squash, and bake 5 more minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons butter and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until butter melts. Add onion, and cook 20 minutes or until caramelized, stirring often.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a small heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in 1/4 cup flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in nutmeg. Stir sauce and squash mixture into onion mixture. Let cool.
- Combine remaining 5 cups flour, shortening, and 2 teaspoons salt using a fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. (Mixture should have small lumps.) Sprinkle 2/3 cup ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, evenly over surface; stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Shape into a ball; roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 4-inch circles. Place about 2 tablespoons squash mixture in center of each dough circle. Moisten edges of dough with water. Fold dough over filling, and pinch to seal. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 450º for 18 minutes or until golden.
- Note: You may use thawed frozen empanada dough instead of the homemade pastry, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers