Too much work, not enough pay off. Won't make this again.
Butternut Squash au Gratin with Wild Mushrooms and Crispy Bacon
Butternut squash shines in this savory fall recipe for Butternut Squash au Gratin with Wild Mushrooms and Crispy Bacon. The mashed butternut is blended with earthy wild mushrooms and bits of bacon to balance the squash's sweetness.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 50 Minutes
- Calories: 163
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 6.9g
- Carbohydrate: 26.4g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 286mg
- Calcium: 188mg
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- 8 cups finely diced peeled butternut squash, divided (about 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 center-cut bacon slices
- 4 ounces sliced chanterelle mushrooms
- 4 ounces sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup unsalted beef stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated and divided (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 6 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add green onions; sauté 30 seconds. Add 6 cups squash; sauté 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, covered, 15 minutes or until tender. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring frequently. Place squash mixture in a large bowl; mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth.
- 3. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan; crumble bacon. Add chanterelles, shiitakes, and sage to drippings; sauté 8 minutes or until mushrooms are browned. Add stock; cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add mushroom mixture, remaining 2 cups diced squash, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, ricotta cheese, and black pepper to mashed squash mixture, stirring to combine. Spoon squash mixture into a broiler-safe 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil; bake at 350° for 1 hour. Remove pan from oven; discard foil.
- 4. Preheat broiler to high.
- 5. Combine bacon, remaining 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, and oyster mushrooms in a bowl; sprinkle over gratin. Broil 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note