Prep: 35 minutes; Bake: 10 minutes; Roast: 20 minutes.
This recipe goes with Cornish Game Hens with Butternut Croutons
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 3 cups (3/4-inch) cubed fresh peasant-style bread
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 10 shallots, quartered (about 9 to 10 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Arrange bread cubes on a baking sheet, and bake at 400° for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned and toasted. Set aside to cool slightly. Increase oven temperature to 450°.
- 2. Mound squash and shallot in the center of a rimmed baking sheet. Whisk together salt and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over mounded squash and shallot, and toss to coat. Spread vegetables in a single layer on the sheet, using 2 sheets if necessary.
- 3. Roast at 450° for 20 minutes or until tender when pierced. Shake the sheet halfway through cooking. Toss warm squash in a bowl with reserved croutons and sage. Spread on a heated platter, and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This