This is a great vegetarian main dish, that receives rave reviews every time I have served it. While I generally follow the recipe instructions, I have found that increasing the bulgur to 1/2 cup improves the filling. Extra phyllo dough sheets can be used for a crispier pie. I have subbed in spinach (frozen and drained) instead of the butternut squash with good outcomes. This dish is on bi-weekly rotation when butternut squash is in season.
Let the salted squash and bulgur stand about a half-hour before proceeding to soften the bulgur. You can serve this with tossed greens and bottled vinaigrette.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 190
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 35.2g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 366mg
- Calcium: 131mg
- 4 cups coarsely shredded butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed and divided
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add onion, feta and Parmesan cheeses, chopped mint, and black pepper to squash mixture, stirring to combine.
- Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), place 1 sheet into a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Gently press sheet into pie plate, allowing ends to extend over edges of pan; lightly coat with cooking spray. Place another phyllo sheet across first sheet to form a crisscross design; lightly coat phyllo with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with 2 phyllo sheets and cooking spray.
- Spoon squash mixture over phyllo. Place another phyllo sheet over squash, repeating crisscross design with remaining phyllo and cooking spray. Fold in edges of phyllo to fit dish and form a rim. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note