This chili recipe is the perfect way to serve your toddler some extra veggies in a comfort food classic. Adults can top their bowls with chopped green onions and cilantro.
Yield: 6 adult servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups soup)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 234
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 22.2g
- Carbohydrate: 30.8g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 608mg
- Calcium: 103mg
- 1 small butternut squash (2 pounds)
- 1 pound ground round
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups chopped tomato (about 2 large)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. Pierce squash several times with a small knife. Microwave at HIGH for 2 1/2 minutes; cool slightly. Peel squash. Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and pulp. Cut squash into 1/2-inch pieces to measure 3 cups.
- 2. Combine ground round, onion, and bell pepper in a Dutch oven, and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain.
- 3. Return meat mixture to pan. Stir in squash, 1/2 cup water, and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally. Ladle soup into bowls.
- let your toddler help by: Identifying and gathering the vegetables. Helping rinse the beans in a colander.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews