Buttermilk Sugar Cookies
Buttermilk gives these sugar cookies a tart, irresistible flavor.
Yield: Makes about 6 dozen
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups shortening
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 16-oz. container butter cream frosting
- Optional: colored sugar or sprinkles
- Blend together sugar, shortening and eggs. Add vanilla and buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into sugar mixture. Add more flour as needed to make a firm dough.
- Chill for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out with cookie cutters; place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool. Frost and decorate as desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note