I love this. It tastes like the "original tart" at the local soft serve frozen yogurt shop. I double the recipe in my little electric ice cream freezer then serve half with the strawberries as soft serve and put the rest into popsicle molds to freeze firm for future snacking.
Buttermilk Sorbet with Strawberries
A smidgen of sugar brings out the berries' sweetness, but if they're very ripe, they may not need sweetening. Garnish each serving with fresh mint sprigs, if desired.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 206
- Calories from fat: 6%
- Fat: 1.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 46.5g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 155mg
- Calcium: 161mg
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- To prepare sorbet, combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon sorbet into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm.
- To prepare strawberries, combine strawberries and 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand 10 minutes. Spoon berries into serving bowls, and top with sorbet.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Buttermilk Sorbet with Strawberries Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Ice Cream/Sherbet
- CONVENIENCE: Freezable, Make-Ahead, 5 Ingredients or Less
- CUISINE: French
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Dairy, Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Ice-Cream Maker
- OCCASION: Easter, July 4th, Mother's Day, Summer
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light