Buttermilk Scones with Three Variations
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- 2. Beat flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed until crumbly and butter is pea-size, about 2 minutes. Add buttermilk and mix just until dough starts to come together, about 20 seconds. Mix just to blend into a shaggy dough, about 10 more seconds. (If you don't have a stand mixer, cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender, then stir in buttermilk.)
- 3. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Form into 2 disks, each about 1 in. thick and still dry-looking in a few spots. Cut each disk into 8 wedges. Put wedges on baking sheets 1 in. apart.
- 4. Bake until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Add 1/3 cup each minced dried apricots and crystallized ginger. You can use any kind of dried apricot, but we especially love California Blenheims for their rich, tangy-sweet flavor (order online from brfarms.com or andysorchard.com).
- Add 1/3 cup each dried tart cherries and sliced almonds.
- Add 3 tbsp. lemon zest to flour mixture and gently mix in 1/3 cup frozen blueberries in step 3, being careful not to mash the fruit. (Frozen berries are better in scones than fresh, because they don’t ooze as much).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This