- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups warm buttermilk (105° to 115°)
- 5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lard
- Butter or margarine, melted
- Dissolve yeast in warm buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Set aside.
- Sift together flour and remaining dry ingredients; cut in lard using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add yeast mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead lightly 4 to 5 times.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/4-inch biscuit cutter. Shape each roll into a round ball, and place 1/2 inch apart in two greased 9-inch round cake pans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note