Buttermilk-Ricotta Cheese Dip
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Total: 13 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 3 cups whole milk (preferably organic)
- 1 1/2 cups whole buttermilk (preferably organic)
- 1 cup heavy cream (preferably organic)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and dried crushed red pepper
- Assorted crackers
- 1. Bring first 4 ingredients to a simmer, without stirring, in a heavy nonaluminum Dutch oven (about 9 1/2 inches in diameter) over medium heat; cook, without stirring, 20 to 25 minutes or just until bubbles appear and temperature reaches 175° to 180°. (Do not boil.)
- 2. Stir gently, and return to a simmer. Cook, without stirring, 5 to 6 minutes or until temperature reaches 190°. (Do not boil or stir. Mixture will look curdled.) Remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes.
- 3. Line a fine wire-mesh strainer with 3 layers of cheesecloth, and place over a bowl. Spoon mixture into strainer. Cover with cheesecloth; chill 12 to 24 hours. Remove cheese, discarding strained liquid.
- 4. Spoon cheese into a serving bowl; drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and crushed red pepper. Serve with crackers. Refrigerate dip in an airtight container up to 2 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note