- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 1/2 peaches, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced (about 1 lb.)
- Vanilla ice cream
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350º. Sift together first 7 ingredients; sift again.
Process chopped peaches in a food processor or blender until smooth. (Yield should be 2 cups puree.) Stir in buttermilk.
Beat butter and sugar at high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add peach mixture, and beat until well blended.
Layer sliced peaches in a greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
Fold flour mixture into butter mixture. Pour batter over sliced peaches in pan. Place pan in a large roasting pan, and add boiling water to roasting pan to a depth of 1 inch.
Bake at 350º for 50 minutes or until set. (Pudding will still be moist.) Serve warm or cold with ice cream.