Followed the recipe exactly. It was OK. Didn't have time to marinate like some suggested b/c it was a week night. May try again following others' suggestions. Did not try the cole slaw.
Buttermilk Oven-Fried Chicken with Coleslaw
Cracker meal gives the coating more crunch; look for it on the baking aisle of your supermarket. If you can't find cracker meal, make your own by pulsing 10 saltine crackers in a food processor until they're finely ground. Or place them in a zip-top plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 342
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 45.1g
- Carbohydrate: 18.5g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 123mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 672mg
- Calcium: 95mg
- 4 cups packaged cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
- 3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 4 (8-ounce) bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cracker meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. To prepare coleslaw, combine first 6 ingredients; toss to coat. Cover and chill.
- 2. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 3. To prepare chicken, combine buttermilk and chicken in a shallow dish, turning to coat.
- 4. Combine flour and cracker meal in a shallow dish. Transfer chicken from buttermilk to a work surface. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Working with one chicken breast half at a time, dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess; set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken and flour mixture.
- 5. Melt butter in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan, meat side down; cook 4 minutes or until golden brown. Turn chicken over, and bake at 425° for 32 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165°.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note