We gave this an 8 out of 10. It turned out very juicy and I thought it had a good flavor to it. Marinated for just under 8 hours and then cooked it for only 40 minutes, but we only did servings for 2. Will do again.
Buttermilk Oven-Fried Chicken
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 431
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 66g
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 180mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 426mg
- Calcium: 53mg
- 3 skinned and boned chicken breast halves (about 1 1/3 pounds)
- 5 skinned and boned chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 4 egg whites
- 6 cups cornflakes cereal, coarsely crushed
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Place chicken and buttermilk in a large bowl or zip-top plastic bag, turning chicken to coat all sides. Cover or seal, and chill 8 hours. Drain chicken, discarding buttermilk.
- Combine flour, poultry seasoning, and lemon pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until frothy.
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture, dip in egg whites; gently press chicken in crushed cereal.
- Arrange chicken on a wire rack coated with cooking spray in an aluminum foil-lined 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. (Do not overlap chicken.) Lightly coat chicken evenly on both sides with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until chicken is done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note