Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
More From Southern Living
Total: 50 Minutes
- 4 pounds baking potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup warm buttermilk
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Peel potatoes; cut into 2-inch pieces. Bring potatoes, 2 tsp. salt, and water to cover to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; boil 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to Dutch oven, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or until potatoes are dry.
- 2. Mash potatoes with a potato masher to desired consistency. Stir in warm buttermilk, warm milk, melted butter, pepper, and 1 tsp. salt, stirring just until blended.
- Five Delicious Mashed Potato Bakes Prepare Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes as directed, increasing buttermilk to 1 1/4 cups. Stir in one of the tasty combos below, and spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 2 1/2-qt. baking dish or 8 (10-oz.) ramekins. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- 1. Smoky Sweet Potato: 1 cup mashed baked sweet potatoes and 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- 2. Creamy Spinach: 1 (5-oz.) package fresh baby spinach, cooked until wilted; 1 (5 1/2-oz.) package buttery garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese; and 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans.
- 3. Caramelized Onion: 1 1/4 cups freshly grated Gruyère cheese, 1 cup chopped caramelized onions, and 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley.
- 4. Bacon and Blue: 1 (4-oz.) wedge blue cheese, crumbled, and 8 cooked and crumbled bacon slices.
- 5. Tasty Tex-Mex: 1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles, 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) shredded pepper Jack cheese, and 1/2 cup finely chopped cooked chorizo sausage.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables