Notes: Mickey Strang of McKinleyville, California, shares this recipe. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Yield: Makes about 1 quart; 2 or 3 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 91
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 5.8g
- Fat: 1.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 144mg
- Cholesterol: 4.9mg
- 1 cucumber (3/4 lb.), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion such as Maui or Walla Walla
- 1 cup coarsely chopped ripe tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh jalapeño chili
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a food processor or with a knife, mince cucumber, onion, tomato, and jalapeño.
- 2. Scrape vegetable mixture into a large bowl, stir in buttermilk, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3. Serve soup with a few ice cubes added to each bowl. Or nest mixing bowl in ice and stir often until cold, about 10 minutes, then ladle into bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note