I didn't have buttermilk so I used skim milk and it was still delicious! (with fewer calories and fat.) I made this with the Fried Okra Taco recipe and used the okra as croutons for a salad another time. My family loved it!
Buttermilk Fried Okra
More From Southern Living
- 1 pound fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 1. Stir together okra and buttermilk in a large bowl. Stir together cornmeal mix and next 3 ingredients in a separate large bowl. Remove okra from buttermilk, in batches, using a slotted spoon. Dredge in cornmeal mixture, and place in a wire-mesh strainer. Shake off excess.
- 2. Pour oil to depth of 1 inch into a large, deep cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Fry okra, in batches, 4 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note