Buttermilk Fried Chicken
More From Southern Living
Total: 9 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 1 (3 3/4-lb.) cut up whole chicken
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 1. Combine chicken and buttermilk in a large nonmetal bowl; cover and chill 8 to 12 hours. Drain chicken, discarding buttermilk.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine salt and pepper; sprinkle half of salt mixture over chicken. Combine remaining salt mixture and flour in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Place 2 pieces of chicken in bag; seal bag, and shake to coat. Remove chicken. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
- 3. Pour oil to depth of 1/4 inch in a large skillet. Fry chicken pieces, in 2 batches, in hot oil over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until browned. Place chicken on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This