Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
More From Southern Living
Bake: 15 Minutes
- 3 1/2 cups self-rising soft-wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk*
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 500°. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl until well blended. Cut in shortening and butter with a pastry blender or a fork until crumbly. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- 2. Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Brush lightly with melted butter.
- 3. Bake at 500° for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- *Nonfat buttermilk may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used White Lily Self-Rising Flour.
- Cheese-Chive Drop Biscuits: Stir 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives into crumbly flour mixture just before adding buttermilk. Increase buttermilk to 1 3/4 cups. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads