You can make the dough for these simple rolls up to two weeks ahead and freeze it in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Thaw in the refrigerator, shape, and bake as directed. These are also good without the dill if you prefer to omit it.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 158
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 26.6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 181mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 1 1/2 cups warm low-fat buttermilk (100° to 110°)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 3 cups flour, dill, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to buttermilk mixture. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Divide in half. Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), shape portion into 6 (2-inch-long) ovals on a floured surface. Roll up each portion tightly, starting with a long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place rolls, seam sides down, on a large baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Repeat with remaining dough portions.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush egg white over rolls; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until the rolls are browned on the bottom and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; cool on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Buttermilk-Dill Rolls Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light