These scones are tender and moist, unlike some recipes. The combination of the dried cranberries (which I substituted for the currants) and grated lemon peel make it interesting and the lemon glaze really adds zing. Since I don't usually keep buttermilk around, I just added about 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the measuring cup, then added regular or soy milk to the amount I needed.
Buttermilk-Currant Scones with Lemon Glaze
Flaky and tender, with just the right balance of sweetness and lemony tang. Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes.
Yield: Makes 8 scones
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 360
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 6.3g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 56g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 419mg
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl or food processor, mix or whirl flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to blend. Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. If using a processor, scrape mixture into a bowl.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk and egg to blend. Add to flour mixture along with dried currants and lemon peel. Stir with a fork just until evenly moistened (dough will look crumbly).
- 3. Scrape dough onto a floured surface and, with lightly floured hands, work it into a ball, then pat into a 7-inch round about 1 3/4 inches thick. Cut dough into eight equal wedges. Arrange wedges 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- 4. Bake scones until tops are browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes on baking sheet. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle glaze over warm scones. Serve scones warm or let cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per scone.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch