Notes: Flo Braker of Palo Alto, baker and author of many cookbooks, created this delicately flavored, simple chowder. She adds crunchy green cucumber to each bowl for a burst of color and texture.
Sunset JANUARY 1999
1. Scrub potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
2. In a 4- to 5-quart pan over high heat, combine potatoes, carrots, and broth. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes and carrots are tender when pierced, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, remove any bits of shell from crab.
4. Add buttermilk to pan and stir until hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add crab, mix gently, and ladle soup into wide bowls. Add cucumber equally to portions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Go to Full Version of