Buttermilk Crab Chowder
Notes: Flo Braker of Palo Alto, baker and author of many cookbooks, created this delicately flavored, simple chowder. She adds crunchy green cucumber to each bowl for a burst of color and texture.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 330
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Sodium: 628mg
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 pound shelled cooked crab
- 3 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup finely chopped English cucumber
- Fresh-ground pepper
- 1. Scrub potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
- 2. In a 4- to 5-quart pan over high heat, combine potatoes, carrots, and broth. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes and carrots are tender when pierced, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, remove any bits of shell from crab.
- 4. Add buttermilk to pan and stir until hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5. Add crab, mix gently, and ladle soup into wide bowls. Add cucumber equally to portions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note