Followed recipe just as written. My boys loved it! It does have more sugar than most cornbread recipes which made it a little sweeter but really good with the beef stew I served it with. It's true it does not crumble much but still thought it was plenty moist. Will definitely make this again.
Serve this Southern staple with soups, stews, or salads. Plan to make this just before guests arrive so they can enjoy it hot.
More From Southern Living
Total: 35 Minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. plain white cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly grease an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, and heat in oven 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk together first 5 ingredients in a bowl; whisk in melted butter. Add eggs and buttermilk, whisking just until smooth.
- 3. Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake at 400° for 30 to 33 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note