Followed recipe just as written. My boys loved it! It does have more sugar than most cornbread recipes which made it a little sweeter but really good with the beef stew I served it with. It's true it does not crumble much but still thought it was plenty moist. Will definitely make this again.
Photo: Howard Lee Puckett; Styling: Caroline Cunningham and Amy Burke
More From Southern Living
Total: 35 Minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. plain white cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly grease an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, and heat in oven 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk together first 5 ingredients in a bowl; whisk in melted butter. Add eggs and buttermilk, whisking just until smooth.
- 3. Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake at 400° for 30 to 33 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note