Sugar? In MY cornbread? No, thank you kindly. I substituted bacon grease for the oil and this served as a side to a pot of pintos. I normally do not add any flour at all to my cornbread, and was curious if there would be a noticeable difference - but there wasn't.
Photo: William Dickey; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill Jenkins
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Heat oil in an 8-inch cast-iron skillet or muffin pans in a 450° oven 5 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Stir together buttermilk and egg; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Pour into hot skillet.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note