Any Flavor Buttermilk Coffee Cake
Customize your topping with any fruit-nut combo. We like plum preserves, sliced plums, and almonds, or strawberry jam, sliced strawberries, and pecans.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1/4 cup fruit preserves or jam
- 1 cup diced or sliced fresh fruit
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together first 4 ingredients. Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk flour mixture into egg mixture.
- 2. Pour batter into a lightly greased 9-inch round cake pan. Dollop preserves by teaspoonfuls over batter, and gently swirl with a knife. Top with diced fruit and chopped nuts. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. granulated sugar.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 38 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack, and cool 5 minutes.
- 4. Whisk together powdered sugar and 2 1/2 Tbsp. buttermilk. Drizzle over warm coffee cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note