We thought this recipe was awesome. I did omit the garlic and lemon in the marinade, by mistake, but sprinkled some garlic powder over the chicken pieces before grilling. It's a new favorite for us.
Buttermilk-Brined Grilled Chicken
Buttermilk-Brined Grilled Chicken is soaked in a mixture of buttermilk, brown sugar, and hot sauce to ensure flavor and juiciness. Add this whole cut-up chicken to your menu at your next summer cookout.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 (3 1/2- to 4-lb.) cut-up whole chicken
- 1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved; stir in onion and next 2 ingredients.
- 2. Place buttermilk mixture and chicken in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; seal and chill 24 hours. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade; pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- 3. Light 1 side of grill, heating to 300° to 350° (medium) heat. Place chicken, skin side up, over unlit side, and grill, covered with grill lid, 40 to 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°. Transfer chicken, skin side down, to lit side of grill, and grill 2 to 3 minutes or until skin is crispy. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note