I love this recipe. I use cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom and serve with celery mashed potatoes. YUM
Buttermilk Baked Chicken
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish in a 425° oven.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in 1/2 cup buttermilk, and dredge in flour.
- Arrange chicken, breast side down, in baking dish.
- Bake at 425° for 25 minutes. Turn chicken, and bake 10 more minutes.
- Stir together remaining 1 cup buttermilk and cream of mushroom soup; pour over chicken, and bake 10 more minutes, shielding chicken with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Drizzle gravy over chicken and Whipped Celery Potatoes. Garnish, if desired.
- *4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves may be substituted. Bake chicken at 425º for 15 minutes. turn, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Note: Light butter; nonfat buttermilk; and reduced-sodium, reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note