This is one of our favorites. It is great comfort food, true, but much healthier than most (and than it tastes!) if you use whole wheat flour, lowfat buttermilk, and fat free soup. NOM!
Buttermilk Baked Chicken
Buttermilk baked chicken is a lightened take on the classic Southern buttermilk fried chicken.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish in a 425° oven.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in 1/2 cup buttermilk, and dredge in flour.
- Arrange chicken, breast side down, in baking dish.
- Bake at 425° for 25 minutes. Turn chicken, and bake 10 more minutes.
- Stir together remaining 1 cup buttermilk and cream of mushroom soup; pour over chicken, and bake 10 more minutes, shielding chicken with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Drizzle gravy over chicken and Whipped Celery Potatoes. Garnish, if desired.
- *4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves may be substituted. Bake chicken at 425º for 15 minutes. turn, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Note: Light butter; nonfat buttermilk; and reduced-sodium, reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes