This was so easy to make. More of a savory recipe than sweet. Good as a dinner roll with stews to just soak up all those good flavors.
Buttered Sweet Potato Knot Rolls
Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1 roll)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 134
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 147mg
- Calcium: 21mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm 2% reduced-fat milk (100Â° to 110Â°)
- 3/4 cup canned mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 5 cups bread flour, divided
- Cooking spray
- Dissolve yeast in milk in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, 1 tablespoon butter, salt, and egg yolks, stirring mixture with a whisk.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 4 1/2 cups flour; stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel very soft and tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press 2 fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough into 24 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), shape each portion into a 9-inch rope. Carefully shape rope into a knot; tuck top end of knot under roll. Place roll on a prepared pan.
- Repeat procedure with remaining dough, placing 12 rolls on each pan. Lightly coat rolls with cooking spray; cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Uncover rolls. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes with 1 pan on bottom rack and 1 pan on second rack from top. Rotate pans; bake an additional 7 minutes or until rolls are golden brown on top and sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove rolls from pans; place on wire racks. Brush rolls with 2 tablespoons butter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads