I have made the Lemon Pound Cake version several times, getting rave reviews. While warm, I prick cake with wooden pick and pour on a glaze made of 1 cup powdered sugar mixed with the juice of 1 lemon. I agree with nolegatormom to check the cake before the suggested time.
Buttered Rum Pound Cake with Bananas Foster Sauce
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Buttered Rum Glaze
- Bananas Foster Sauce
- Vanilla ice cream
- Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty mixer until creamy. Add 2 1/2 cups sugar, beating 4 to 5 minutes or until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in flavorings.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1 1/2 hours or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and place on a serving plate. While warm, prick cake surface at 1-inch intervals with a wooden pick; pour warm Buttered Rum Glaze over cake. Let stand 4 hours or overnight before serving. Serve with Bananas Foster Sauce and vanilla ice cream.
- Lemon Pound Cake: Add 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind to batter. Proceed with cake recipe as directed. Omit Buttered Rum Glaze; do not serve with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Buttered Rum Pound Cake with Bananas Foster Sauce Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Gifts, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Southern
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter, Birthdays/Anniversaries, Christmas, Mardi Gras, Mother's Day, New Year's, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living