This frosting recipe is SO creamy and good! My husband and I usually just use the recipe on the back of the powdered sugar package, but I wanted to try something new. I will definitely make this again! My hand mixer seemed to have a little trouble creaming the powdered sugar and butter at the end because it was so thick (it kind of clumped rather than creamed), but adding the milk after those ingredients were combined thinned the frosting out to the perfect consistency. Next time I might try alternating adding the powdered sugar and the milk to prevent it from getting quite so thick and then thinning it out at the end. I also used slightly more vanilla (about 1 tsp extra) to get the taste I was looking for. This is the perfect home-made alternative to the store bought frosting and goes great with chocolate cake!
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (2-pound) package powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Orange paste food coloring
- Yellow paste food coloring
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add milk, beating until spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla.
- Stir orange food coloring into 1 1/2 cups frosting. Stir yellow food coloring into 1 1/4 cups frosting.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings