Growing up, I hated lima beans and anything that resembled them. I tried this recipe using lima beans to see if it was actualy the lima bean that I disliked or the method my mother used to cook them. Sorry mom, after using this recipe to prepare them, I am now a lima bean lover! I served mine with spicy braised country short ribs and corn spoon bread; mmm, mmm:)
Butterbeans and Bacon
More From Southern Living
- 3 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh or thawed frozen butterbeans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Add onion, garlic, and bay leaf; cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- 2. Add bell pepper; cook, stirring often, 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, if desired, and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes.
- 3. Add chicken broth and butterbeans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- 4. Uncover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring often. Stir in salt and next 3 ingredients. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with cooked bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables